To find out more about ANLHS please click on ‘About ANLHS’ at the top of the page.
Please note: – At the EGM on 30 April 2016 the proposal to disband ANLHS at the AGM 2016 was agreed by a majority of the membership present. Minutes of the meeting can be read by clicking EGM Minutes.
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
- 50th Anniversary Celebration Lunch & Talk on Capability Brown – Booked for Saturday 1st October at Kirkharle. Please note the date NOW.
AGM 2016 – Saturday 5th November at Stannington Village Hall. This will be the last event held by ANLHS.
ROUND THE COUNTY DAY 2016
The event hosted by Whickham Local History Society on Saturday 11th June was hugely enjoyed by all present. A report of the day will appear in the forthcoming Tyne & Tweed.
Our new publication A Northumbrian Miscellany: Historical Essays in Memory of Constance M Fraser is now available. Dr Constance M. Fraser was a founding member of ANLHS and its president at the time of her death in 2013. She was an outstanding historian, whose deep knowledge about the history of North Eastern England covered the whole spectrum of human activity. This book of ten essays, with an epilogue by Professor Norman McCord, has been written by renowned scholars of various aspects of Northumbrian history in her memory. It is a limited edition and costs only £12.50 (including p&p). To obtain a copy download an Order form and send to E. George, Lion House, Main Street, Felton, Northumberland, NE65 9PT with a cheque made out to ANLHS for the appropriate amount.
- Introduction: Constance Mary Fraser, 1928 – 2013 by Elizabeth Ashton
- Why was Pandon Merged with Newcastle upon Tyne in 1298? by Colm O’Brien
- Migration in Medieval Northumberland: the Evidence of Surnames by Michael Barke
- Northumberland in the Fifteenth Century by Anthony J. Pollard
- A Book with Fragments of Sixteenth Century History by A. Ian Doyle
- The Elites of Newcastle upon Tyne in the Late Sixteenth and Early Seventeenth Centuries by Diana Newton
- Learning the Tricks of the Northumberland Hearth Tax by Adrian Green
- A Matter of Honour or Good Management? An Account of Events Leading to the Parliamentary Election for the City of Durham, 1754 by Elizabeth Fewster
- Lord Garlies and the Morpeth Election of 1761 by Joseph Fewster
- Traditional Buildings of Northumberland and Newcastle by Grace McCombie
- Education Eight Miles East of Newcastle upon Tyne: Murton Primary School, 1878 – 1991 by Elizabeth Ashton
- Epilogue: An Essay on Acceleration by Norman McCord
- Constance M. Fraser: Bibliography of Main Published Works
The latest edition of our annual journal Tyne & Tweed, Volume 69 is available price £5. It makes an ideal present for Northumbrians living outside the region – particularly those abroad! Click on ‘Tyne & Tweed Journal’ at the top of the page to find a list of its contents and how to order.
Member Local History Society/History Group Dedicated Pages
All our member societies/groups can have a dedicated page on this website – please email email@example.com for more information.
This is also the time of year when many of our member societies and groups introduce their new programmes for their upcoming season 2016-17 and change their office holders and/or contact details. Any member society or group who wishes to have their new programmes placed on their dedicated page on the website, again, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details. Please note that these changes can only be made by the website editor who can be contacted via the above email address.
Similarly if any member society or group has created its own website (or has changed its website address) please contact the website editor on the above email address so that a link can be created from this website.